Helllooooo! I just finished up the major recoding of an old site I have given a facelift to (www.theinfoexchange.net). It used to be ALL white, which was kinda lame. I changed it over to be more ordered, now all the menu action is at the top, static and more organized. One major thing I added which I think will prove useful is the Site Search; I got it at A List Apart. It uses perl which pretty much all servers now have, and it doesn't take any recoding. I had to make one or two tiny adjustments on my script but other than that it worked beautifully.
Sadly I couldn't code it to XHTML 1.1 Standards, because of some odd behaviour with ampersands in the validation process (from the ad servers). But that is not a big problem, XHTML 1.0 Transitional is just fine with me.