This is a blog that was created to talk about web design. The both of us hope people can learn from this, even learn something ourselves maybe.

Monday, January 10, 2005

Readable Code, Pride Of Place?

Since I started writing web pages a long time ago, I borrowed a habit that I had developed from writing C/C++, and that was "order". I liked my code to be neat, still do in fact. Take a look at my Two Wizards Design site, you see how each tab increment is 2 spaces? It's nice and ordered, someone coming along after me stealing my code will have a good time of it :) (and no, I don't mind ppl stealing my code, since I can't really prevent it, although a mention would be nice!)

Anyways, I kept that habit up, and encourage everyone I talk to about it, to do the same. Why shouldn't we have pride in our work? Workmen polish and shine what they build, bureaucrats make sure everything is dotted and crossed, there is no difference in our work ethic in that sense. Going on from this, I was reading through Stopdesign and noticed that he separates his individual css files, into css content. So there is a css file for fonts, a css file for positioning etc., It's a very neat method, and I have begun to adopt his way of writing CSS, partitioning it out according to what it does.

Do I need to? No. I could make it an unholy mess with import directives all over, but from the usability on my part, it's better, and from any reader's view it will also be better. Well it comes to this really: we can't stop people reading the css, easy to figure out from the (X)HTML source file, then just read like any other page. So if that's the case, we may as well write it properly, orderly, and well-defined, with (preferably) no extraneous css from older versions.

5 Comments:

Blogger melody said...

Why do I get the feeling of Rich glaring at me while I read this? I think it's because he knows I'm a very very very sloppy coder. I really am going to change my ways, next project I start! I swear!

11:29 PM

 
Blogger rrd said...

Hehehe! Once you start ordering it neatly, you'll understand what I mean :) I used to be sloppy about it, but when it came to recoding a year later, I was lost.

12:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://hfuzxcye.com/nlao/mqjc.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://jnwgdfpx.com/hxgk/odyy.html]Cool site[/url]

9:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

9:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://hfuzxcye.com/nlao/mqjc.html | http://kagckeiw.com/gftz/yepw.html

9:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home