This is a blog that was created to talk about web design. The both of us hope people can learn from this, even learn something ourselves maybe.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Are you standards compliant, or just compliant?

Hell, I'm not even sure anyone can be totally standards compliant. I try hard as possible to make sure my sites look good in IE and Netscape, and then Mozilla, and now we have Firefox. So the other day I'm browsing along, and someone asked if it looked the same in Opera or Safari; come on, how am I supposed to know? I don't own a Mac, I don't even know anyone who does!

I want to wake up tomorrow and read on HTMLforums that suddenly, Microsoft announced a new patch that makes their browser Standards compliant! There's as much chance of that as Italians announcing they've landed on Mars.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opera is not a Mac browser. Or, well, it is available for Mac, but for many other operating systems as well, including Windows and Linux... I'd recommend you to download it from http://www.opera.com/ and test your sites in Opera as well.

Testing the same page in Netscape, Mozilla and Firefox is probably not necessary because they are essentially the same browsers. One of them is enough.

5:47 PM

 
Blogger rrd said...

Ah ha! thank you :) and I see it is free; for some reason I was under the impression they charged for it. Maybe I'm thinking of another one...

6:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes and no - Opera is free but it has a Google text ad in the toolbar. You can purchase a licence for USD 39 to remove the advert. Purchasing also gives you access to customer support per e-mail.

Furthermore, the first beta of Opera 8.00 has just been released :)

6:41 AM

 
Blogger rrd said...

Thanks! Good to know, I'll definately download it then, to use for testing purposes.

1:02 PM

 
Blogger melody said...

I usually just check it in netscape and IE.... but about being compliant, I'd like to take that a step further. Does it look good in 800 x 600 resolution? in 1024 x 768? 1152 x 864? How about on a 15, 17, 19, or 21 inch screen? Can't please everyone so what's a girl to do???? Please advise.

1:03 PM

 
Blogger rrd said...

Well I have my screen set to 1152 x 864, and I NEVER maximize my browser. So my browser is at most 1024 x 768, and that's generally how I try to size everything into. My dad maxes everything for his eyesight (interestingly, he doens't bother with increasing font size, CTRL +), gary maxes his browser, jan doesn't, my brother does, my sister doesn't but she has a huge screen res too.

1:42 PM

 
Blogger melody said...

hehehe... big help, rich. HUGE! :)

2:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://wusuojnb.com/wksm/upsv.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ygwwasnd.com/wxta/kwur.html]Cool site[/url]

7:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

7:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://wusuojnb.com/wksm/upsv.html | http://qttmxmtf.com/riay/wpxe.html

7:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home